Stay Calm with the ‘Hriday Mudra’
The ancient science of Yoga gives many practical tools, that can be used in our day to day lives, helping us stay calm especially in stressful situations.
From my own personal practice I know that the The Heart Mudra or ‘Hriday Mudra‘ is one of the easiest & most effective in maintaining this energetic balance.
(Mudra’s also known as energetic locks help channel the flow of our energy (prana) through our bodies. This natural energetic flow when disrupted – due to strong emotions or stress – can result in symptoms such as tightness in the chest, panic attacks, lower back pain, stiff necks and migraines, to name a few. These energetic locks maintain the natural energetic balance, helping our minds & bodies cope with and even stay calm during tough situations.)
When accompanied with meditation, this particular mudra can also help in working out bottled up emotions.
It governs the energy of the heart chakra which is one of the first to get impacted during stress.
‘The best part is you just have to form it and it will do the rest. You can do it even while talking to someone’.
- Sit, Stand or Lie down.
- Form this Mudra on both hands – bend the index finger so that the tip or first knuckle (whichever is easier) touches the base of the thumb
- Join the tip of the thumb with the tips of the middle and ring fingers
- Keep the little fingers slightly extended but relaxed
- Practice for a few minutes till you feel the stress lifting.
- Practicing this mudra helps bring about a sense of calm during stressful situations
- It helps in releasing pent-up emotions
Reference: Mudras for modern life by Swami Saradananda